flex and fall

August 31, 2014

The Unicorn Prince



'I put on my face. This one is wolfish,
covered in whorls of black and gray fur.
My whiskers flex and fall; I comb them

with my nails. My teeth are broken in places.
Depending on the light, I am glossy
or made of shadows. When I walk, my skin,

loose, follows with a slight delay. What did I wear
when we were new? Must have been the curly
one, lambish. Later, I was the blind ostrich,

my face a sad block, all eye and beak, hiding
in the sand. I chew my paws and pace
the bedroom. My fur is furrowed and sweaty.

I pant. I pant and growl softly, bare my teeth
at you on your way out. I heard everything,
do you believe it? The uneasy feeling

of a stranger by your side. Turn around;
I am the stranger. Go on, run away now,
run away on your dainty little hooves.'


Self-Portrait as Beast

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.