bretón

September 12, 2012

Turn on one music channel to pass the time and what do you get?

A cacophonous shit storm of sugary sweet, commercial pop songs duking it out to see who can make your ever-so-sensitive-to-crap-music temples implode first.

Taylor Swift, i don't like you, get out of my head.

This might run her off:

Hello my name is dom said...

My little sister is at the age she likes watching music channels, they are consistently awful aren't they? Were they that bad when I used to restlessly switch between the 20 odd channels, knowing an advert break was only minutes away at any time.

Even the few I reckon I could stomach today seemed to have disappeared, MTV2 has gone and with it 120 minutes which was probably the closest to 'eclectic' that any music channel would ever get. Apparently it's been changed to MTV Rocks? Eh.

Kerrang seems to be playing the same music it played when I was at my sisters age, the same pop-punk,nu-metal poop and maybe some Paramore in between.

Music channels probably aren't going to be round for really long anyway.
The internet is probably to blame, like with everything. It's always the internet. Why did my toast burn? The internet. I just stubbed my toe, if it wasn't for the internet...At least with youtube you don't seem to get half an hour of adverts every fifteen minutes (thanks adblock) you just have to do a lot more searching. I wonder what the viewing figures are like for music channels, I can't imagine many people can put up with the barrage of adverts and tiny selection of videos they play.

With that comes less exposure/smaller audience. I wonder how that would effect someone like Spike Jonze who was discovered through his music video work, it's proven to be a pretty successful route to take for aspiring directors some of them less successful than others. But it'd be a shame if the shrinkage of the music video industry stopped this.

I'm quite surprised music videos are still released in (what seems like) a similar quantity to before broadband/youtube/internet. Some of that might be down to lower costs of production with DSLR's becoming popular for filming and other stuff like software/hardware prices.

Oops, I seemed to have written an essay. What can I say, I like music videos they can be pretty special if they get the music and video to complement one another. Like a synesthesia. but like, for everyone.

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.