demolition

May 20, 2009


My dad bought me a magazine yesterday called Dangerous Ink, it was conceived back in 2007 by two Glaswegians and shows a lot of promise. Unlike the conventional art magazines it doesn't bombard you with unnecessary ramblings and 'modern' art. Which is nice.
It contained an interview with Laurie Lipton, an artist i was already aware of but who's style never really interested me. However, as often, i changed my mind. I still don't enjoy the countless number of skulls and twisted settings but i understand them better now. Also her technique is unquestionable. I hadn't realised before but she uses tiny brush-like strokes of her pencil to create her images, a result of wanting to learn to paint like the old masters but never having anyone to teach her, even with attending art school. Her experience of art school sounds much like mine. The classic black sheep in a heard of paint-splattered modernites.
Anyhow, i was looking through her gallery and it was the compositions of her work that interested me the most. Like the work i've got my mind set on doing now, they all have a filmic quality to them. Her figures don't necessarily confront head on, they take a more subtle approach by slowly pulling you in.

I must learn how to do this. Must!


watching: weeds

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.