scout

October 06, 2008

This is more like me at my drawing best - that is however rather ordinary compared to some hyperrealists out there. I, however, just need to practice and this project is giving me the time to do that. I don't want to destroy my work though. I spend tedious hours trying to pick up and accurately reproduce all the detail i feel essential and then what? Scrub it away? That's crazy talk! Agh, depressing.
I'm too precious over my drawings, something i really need to get over for this project and for future buyers - if there are any!
I need a kick.

Being the carrier monkey that i am, i've caught a bug and it's waging war on my geriatric immune system. I probably shouldn't have commented on how "...it's usually me who's sick!", while everybody in my studio was suffering at the hands of pre-winter bugs.
I am glad it's Autumn though, i change my mind throughout the year but this is definitely my favourite season at this moment in time.
Time for wearing 6 layers, knee high socks, fingerless gloves and big warm coats. AND HATS!
By December i'll be whinging that it's too cold.

'Two live oaks stood at the edge of the Radley lot; their roots reached out into the side-road and made it bumpy. Something about one of the trees attracted my attention.
Some tin-foil was sticking in a knot-hole just above my eye level, winking at me in the afternoon sun. I stood on tip-toe, hastily looked around once more, reached into the hole, and withdrew two pieces of chewing gum minus their outer wrappers.
My first impulse was to get it into my mouth as quickly as possible, but I remembered where I was. I ran home, and on our front porch I examined my loot. The gum looked fresh. I sniffed it and it smelled all right, I licked it and waited for a while. When I did not die I crammed it into my mouth: Wrigley's Double-Mint."

- To Kill A Mocking Bird

After not making it through Mr Vertigo due to extreme impatience, i started on Witch Child. I got through it reasonably quickly as it's a kids books but it was a decent read, a nice break from my mission to read the classics. Next there was Douglas Coupland's Girlfriend in a Coma, what possessed me to read this, i don't know. It started with a fairly good idea and then divulged into preaching from wholly shallow characters. I think through the whole thing i was trying to convince myself that it was good, as i'd heard such good things about Coupland but no, it was crappity crap crap crap.
Shall seek out another one though, he can't be this acclaimed for no reason surely? How naive i am.
Anyway, To Kill A Mockingbird was next on my agenda, apparently it's shameful i haven't read it and after only a few chapters i can see why. The above is one of my favourite quotes so far.



m83 - too late

Sarah said...

Is it beautiful? Is it freaky? No! It's Peasy-style - it's both!
Nice one, kiddo. See your point, though. Maybe you wanna think the whole 'draw the beautiful portrait then destroy it' thing!
Sigh - your reading rate is making me look illiterate. I should really get back into reading again.

Night sicky xxx

Sarah said...

Hang on... is that me? That looks suspiciously like my nose!

Louise Boyd said...

Don't call me sicky, it'll always be Spewy Louis thank you very much!

And no, it's not you, you don't have a child's nose you teacake.

xxx

Put. The. iPlayer. Down. And. Read.

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.