'confliction isn't a word'

October 10, 2008

The usefulness of having a blog - i can put all the crap i don't want to put on DeviantArt, here!
A couple of drawings, the first a quick sketch of a very happy baby. It kind of reminds me of one of the Seven Dwarfs. I'm in two minds about using big expressions like this but i'm not going to limit myself. Who knows what'll happen. Happy accidents, lovely things.
But yes, just a very quick sketch. You can tell by just how scrappy it is, i do however, think that i sometimes capture more character and life when i draw quickly. Portraiture is tricky.
The second is a work in progress. I really quite hate it, the iris is really testing my patience and i have this feeling i'll wreck it somehow. Bah humbug.
I think i need to start working on a bigger scale. Not just because it seems to be the scale of the time but because it will in fact, have a better impact. Either that, or i have to go really small. Like my self-portrait in first year.
I'm not panicked but this project is doing my head, i'm in constant conflict!

Something today did however, make me rather cheery and that was remembering Vincent Brown, who i encountered last year? on DeviantArt. I was pretty much in awe of the immense detail he puts into his work and was flabbergasted - amazing word- when he complimented me on the above mentioned self-portrait.
It was then great to see his work displayed in the flesh at The National Portrait Gallery's BP Portrait Award in Edinburgh. I wasn't sure at first but then had a little fit of glee at realising it was Mr Brown's work.
I like it when things like that happen =]





death cab for cutie - the ice is getting thinner

Sarah said...

Squeeze, these are gorgeous. Can't wait to see what your good work is like if these are crap! The expression on baby number one's face is just so lovely and there's something really thoughtful and wistful about baby number two. Tell you what, kiddo, if the whole deep and meaningful thing doesn't work out, people would pay for portraits of their kiddies like these! xxx

Louise Boyd said...

I could actually make a bloody fortune out of Dundee. All those bastard children =]

xx

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.