homemovies

September 24, 2008

Works by Gottfried Helnwein. Quite possibly my new hero.
Most of my day was full of this wonderful man and his photo-real, thoughtful and intellectual images. Just the combination i have been searching for and until now, ceased to discover. If i can get my work to be even a millimetre close to Helnwein's, then this year of university will take me just that bit closer to my current goal, which is almost exactly the same as the man's in question.
I don't think i've enjoyed research this much since Francis Bacon or Max Beckmann. Last year's sketchbook work was way too morbid to 'enjoy', i learnt a hell of a lot about the deceased though...
I like this part of studying. Filling my sketchbooks with anecdotes, theories, facts, images, quotes, poetry, lyrics, sketches and random crap that has nothing to do with my project. It's great to look back on and use again.

One of my favourite things occurred today. When two things combine and become influential on my memory and enjoyment by complete coincidence. It happened with DBC Pierre's Vernon God Little and Sufjan Steven's Illinoise, i refuse to read Vernon without Sufjan. And now it has happened with Gottfried Helnwein and Kings of Leon's Only By The Night - which i have played so much today it has risen from 8th place in my most listened to bands on last.fm, to 2nd place =]
I used to love this band but now, now i love this band. People who are whinging about how they've lost their raw edge...wheesht. Just wheesht. Shut up and enjoy the fucking beauty.



kings of leon - notion

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.