phoebe

August 20, 2008


"About halfway to the bathroom, i sort of started pretending I had a bullet in my guts. Old Maurice had plugged me. Now I was on the way to the bathroom to get a good shot of bourbon or something to steady my nerves and help me really go into action. I pictured myself coming out of the goddam bathroom, dressed and all, with my automatic in my pocket, and staggering around a little bit. Then I'd walk downstairs, instead of using the elevator. I'd hold onto the banister and all, with this blood trickling out of the side of my mouth a little at a time. What I'd do, I'd walk down a few floors - holding onto my guts, blood leaking all over the place - and then I'd ring the elevator bell. As soon as old Maurice opened the doors, he'd see me with the automatic in my hand and he'd start screaming at me, in this very high-pitched, yellow-belly voice, to leave him alone. But I'd plug him anyway. Six shots right through his fat hairy belly. Then I'd throw my automatic down the elevator shaft - after I'd wiped off all the finger prints and all. Then I'd crawl back to my room and call up Jane and have her come over and bandage up my guts. I pictured her holding a cigarette for me to smoke while I was bleeding and all. 

The goddam movies. They can ruin you. I'm not kidding."


- J. D. Salinger
The Catcher in the Rye

Another book done and dusted, i really liked it, i did. But i didn't love it and i have a love/hate relationship with the ending and Holden still pisses me off. But i'd rather a novel with characters to be affected by, than forgotten. I don't think i'll be forgetting little Phoebe anytime soon. She probably really would 'kill you'.
I would very much like Holden's red hunting hat. That would be pretty neat.
My next read is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm hoping it has a more satisfying ending and at least i won't be spoiled by the film adaptation like i was for Perfume and Pride and Prejudice, that spoiled them a bit.
Today was a weird day, room tidying and throwing up isn't a very good mix. I really don't enjoy being infected and seeing as i haven't been out in public recently, i blame the carrier monkeys that unleash their germs on my parents in the Practice and scurry their way to my immune system.
Swines.
Anyway, if you want a good film to watch, buy/rent/download this:
Oh, and the illustration up there is by Charles Keeping, not me, because i suck too much to produce something as lovely as that =]

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.